Sometimes curly girls like to straighten their hair for special occasions. If this is you, following the proper procedures is crucial to avoid heat damage and breakage. Watch our video to get the best results at home.
1. Choose a good flat iron. There are tons of flat irons on the market that all claim to be the best. We strongly recommend choosing a flat iron with ceramic or titanium plates like any of our Bellezza and Cortex Flat Irons. Ceramic plated flat irons protect the hair from heat damage and are best for home usage. Whereas titanium flat irons heat up faster and are more durable and stronger. They are best for salon professionals. Choose a flat iron with an automatic temperature settings to avoid overheating your hair.
2. Wash the hair. This should be obvious, but it is best to straighten hair when it is clean. Use a moisturizing shampoo to get rid of product residue. After properly washing the hair, apply a conditioner to restore moisture.
3. Detangle the hair. Make sure your hair is still wet while detangling the hair. You may apply a small amount of leave-in conditioner to make it easier to comb out knots in your hair. Always use a wide tooth comb when detangling the hair.
4. Divide the hair. Divide your hair into four sections with hair clips. Ensure each section is properly detangled.
5. Apply heat protectant. To protect your curl pattern and hair, you should apply a heat protectant. Heat protectants reduce heat damage and breakage that are often cause by overusing flat irons and blow dryers.
6. Flat Iron your hair. After applying heat protectant, simply part your hair in thin sections, which are about 1.4 inches wide. From the root to the tip, slowly pass the flat iron through the hair. Continue with the rest of the hair until finished.